Friday, May 15, 2015

FO Friday 5/15/15

So we have been quiet for awhile, but our needles have been moving! We are hoping to start back into the blog and have a few posts to catch you up on all we have been up to.  From knitting and other crafting, to fiber festivals and bestie adventures. 

One of the bigger projects that I have finished recently is a baby blanket that I made for my cousin. She is expecting a little boy (any day now) so I wanted to make sure I sent something she could snuggle the little guy in.  
Gradient Blanket by Sara Marks

It is made with Caron Simply Soft, so it is perfect for a baby blanket. I love that it is machine washable too.  I didn't have enough yarn to make the blanket as written, but it is still a big baby blanket. It was pointed out that this looks like a Ravenclaw blanket, and although that wasn't my intent it is probably pretty fitting. Both my cousin and her husband have earned PhDs in the sciences, so their baby will certainly be surrounded by wit and wisdom.

I was a little behind Jess in my Follow Your Arrow 2 so I didn't have it to share the last time that we blogged. I finished it now and I really like it.
Follow Your Arrow 2 - Ysolda Teague

I enjoyed knitting this one as much as the first Follow Your Arrow. I ended up with an ABABB shawl. If I make another one (maybe there will be a Follow Your Arrow 3?!) I would like to use a solid color yarn, or even a gradient. I think that would show the lovely stitches off better. The slight variegation of this yarn muddles things a bit, but it is still a pretty shawl.  

I made a Barley hat for my cousin's baby as well. Then it worked out that the next Quidditch prompt had a few patterns as options, and Barley was one of them! So I knit one up for myself too. This one was Madeline Tosh DK. It is soft and squishy.  I love the pink color, and I think it will be great for this fall.  (I am not thinking about cold weather for awhile).


One of the residents is going to be a mom so I knit up a quick Ruffled baby hat and a pair of baby socks.  To go with the socks I found the perfect book!




Leftovers Baby Socks - by Matthew Hesson-McInnis
Ruffled Baby Hat - by Maryann
The hat is Knit Picks Comfy Worsted and it is way too big for a newborn.  This works out ok as the baby is due in May and will really need the hat later in the year.  

The project I am most proud of is my Grandpa Cardigan by Joji Locatelli. I knit it up in Wollmeise DK and it is just lovely.  I knew it was quite a splurge to make a sweater out of Wollmeise and I am lucky to have had the opportunity.  This sweater is ALL cables. Cables on the body and sleeves.  I have temporary buttons on the sweater in these pics because I knew I would get some at Maryland Sheep and Wool (more on that later).


Just a few more projects, I promise. I knit up a pair of Pin Striped Socks by Julia Swart using some Cyborg's Craft Room sock yarn in the colorway Lagoon. This was the only knitting project that I brought with me on our trip to Aruba. That is a good thing because I did not have too much time to knit.

I knit a tiny gnome for Project Gnome Diplomacy! He is on his way to South Korea now!



Last, but not least. I knit up a shawl that I have been wanting to make for a long time. A family member is going through a rough time, so I decided to knit up a shawl for her. That way I can give her a hug from afar and she will know we are thinking of her. I used a bright skein from Sweet Georgia Yarns Tough Love Sock in the colorway honey fig to make this Multnomah.  I am also excited I got a picture of this beautiful tree in my front yard while it was in bloom.


Late winter I somehow lost my knitting mojo.  It's back in full force now and I have a bunch of FO's to show.  

To start, back in January I was asked to test knit Wasabi by Susan Claudino as part of the Dancing Dog Dyeworks Monster Mania club.  I knit one out of Knit Picks WOTA and a baby one out of The Cyborg's Craft Room Assparkilate.  The pattern was finally revealed in April and if you weren't part of the Monster Mania club, you should be able to purchase the pattern in a few months.



I have knit a few Citron shawls in the past, but never ended up keeping one for myself.  Late in the winter, my friend Barb, was trying to find a shawl to make with some yellow Wollmeise.  I was searching Ravelry trying to find patterns for her and felt the urge to knit myself a bright yellow shawl.  I ordered 2 skeins of Malabrigo Lace from Eat Sleep Knit.  The colorway looked like sunshine.  When it arrived, I was a little sad to see it was more of a marigold color.  Yellowish orange.  I started the shawl anyway, figuring I would be giving this one away, too.  However, by the time I finished I was in love with it.  It is so bright and happy!  It's also the perfect size.  I can wear it around my neck as a shawlette, or I can wear it over my shoulders if I get chilly at work and it keeps me warm.  


I've also knit 3 pairs of socks over the past couple of months.  I know I retracted my goal of knitting 12 pairs, but right now socks ARE making me happy so I want to knit them while I still have the urge.
The first pair is just a basic vanilla sock with a heel flap.  I used Desert Vista Dyeworks "If They Kill Daryl".  

The second pair are No Purl Monkeys using some yarn that I dyed when I hosted a dye party with our local knit group.  (More on that in another post).  I am SO thrilled with the results and these are my favorite socks right now.


The most recent pair I knit is a pair of Socks on a Plane using my Miss Babs that I got at Maryland Sheep & Wool last year.  I skipped MDSW this year, but I felt it was appropriate to knit with my yarn on the weekend of the festival.  These socks are shorties.  They only go about an inch above my ankle bone, but with summer just around the corner I wanted to try something different.


The final project I have to share this week is kind of a secret, but as long as I don't say who it's for it should be ok ;)

I knit a Hogwarts Express for a friend of mine.  I've knit this shawl a couple of other times in the past.  It's a fairly simple knit and super fast.


I've knit a couple of washcloths and some ornaments for the Little Lippy Ewe swap, but I will hold off on showing all of them until the end of the year.  

I hope you all have a great week!  

No comments:

Post a Comment